Green Mobilisation Initiative (GMI)
is a sustainable-environment and development focused Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO) based in Abuja, Nigeria. GMI was registered with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) in 2010.We initiate and undertake developmental programmes and activities designed to improve the equilibrium that address the biodiversity of Nigeria’s ecosystem. Most of our activities are carried out to restore the harmony of the ecosystem previously degraded by massive and wide scale environment-unfriendly activities like indiscriminate bush burning, oil and gas exploitation and exploration, uncontrolled felling of trees, excess tillage operations and human/animal-initiated weathering of the soil etc. Technological solutions to problems such as solid waste disposal, access to clean/renewable alternative energy, global warming, ozone depletion, desertification, oil spillage pollution and climate change.
GMI is a very practical organisation working across all sectors of the society with special programs for local communities involving the use of participatory tools (PRA & PLA) in sustainable livelihoods’ planning and community driven development processes through grassroots capacity mobilisation and development, where local communities are empowered to take charge of their own development agenda.
To become a key player in addressing Africa’s toughest environmental challenges while ensuring productive interactions between humans and their environment.
Honesty, Transparency, Quality service,
GMI’s mission is to conserve and develop a
sustainable approach towards the entire spectrum
of human activities in relation to their
GMI’s mission is to conserve and develop a sustainable approach towards the entire spectrum of human activities in relation to their environment.
Honesty, transparency, quality service, value-for-funds
OBJECTIVES OF GREEN MOBILISATION
- To sensitize public on the need to take care of their environment
- To develop and build the capacity of students and women, especially people l i v i n g i n t h e u r b a n / r u r a l a n d disadvantaged areas so they can address basic environmental problems to enable a sustainable settlement
- To initiate and develop projects and programs that will help curb the effect of climate change and contribute to the overall well being of the planet
- To assist communities bedeviled by environmental degrading factors, and relevant institutions in advocating and defending their right and well being.
TO ACHIEVE THESE:
GMI evolved a working model that promotes public awareness and education through collection and dissemination of useful information associated with concerns for the environment. And assist people, especially the local communities in conservation of scarce biodiversity, natural resources, habitat and fragile ecosystem, raising awareness of the value of the country’s ecosystem and promoting the involvement of all sectors of the society and government in its management.
Furthermore GMI has a special eco program for youths and students in primary, secondary and tertiary institutions tagged ‘Going Green’. This program aims at promoting environmental awareness and education among the young generation so as to inculcate environmental ethics and values in their mind.
GMI has a strong dedicated board of trustees from a wide cross section of disciplines and backgrounds in conservation, environment, agriculture etc.
GMI also has a competent and hardworking staff and a pool of resource persons and consultants and volunteers who are called upon to work depending on the project at hand.
Partnerships are key in achieving sustainable environment in the face of climate change and requires the involvement of government, corporate organisations and NGO’s to effectively mobilise every member of the society in solving environmental challenges.
We partnered with the Ogun State Ministry of Forestry, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta;
- Ten thousand trees campaign for Secondary Schools, Abeokuta, Ogun State
- Trees for Clean Environment Campaign in Federal Government Boys School, Apo, Abuja.
- Trees for Clean Environment campaign in Government Day Secondary School, Dutsen Alhaji, GSS, Bwari and GSS Kuje, Abuja.
- Granted UN Economic and social affairs (ECOSOC) Special Consultative Status in 2019.
- Participated in United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP25) in Madrid, Spain from December 2nd to 13th, 2019.
- Maintained strategic partnership with schools and government agencies like Ogun State Ministry of Forestry, Abeokuta, FCT Secondary Education board, Parks and Recreation Department of the Federal Capital Territory.
- Annual donations of seedlings to Schools and individuals.
Mr. Gabriel Aborele is the National Coordinator of Green Mobilisation Initiative, Abuja. He holds a Master’s degree in Forest Ecology and Conservation and Bachelor of Science degree in Forestry and Wildlife Management from the Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta, He is a member of the Commonwealth Forestry Association and an AIESEC Alumni, where he once served as Local Committee President. He participated in International Union of Forest Research Summer School Programme on “the role of forest in climate change” held at Artvin Coruh University, Artvin,
Turkey in 2013, COP 25 in Madrid, Spain in 2019. He co-founded GMI to contribute in addressing environmental concerns in a unique way. GMI is dedicated to meet the needs of a continually changing ecosystem within the confines of eco-friendliness, and safety; and to ensure that Nigerians are introduced to simple solutions to basic environmental problems.